Flan is a baked custard cake. which is really popular in Latin America, though it’s roots go back to Ancient Rome. Part of the reason that flan is so popular is because it is so simple to make and tastes delicious. All you need is some eggs, milk, gelatin, and sweetener. You don’t even have to bake this cake, which is a godsend in the hot summer months.
Traditional flan isn’t exactly the healthiest dessert you can eat, especially with all that we now know about milk and how it is linked to leaky gut syndrome. You don’t have to feel guilty about eating this easy flan recipe though!
The flan recipe uses coconut milk instead of cream, which means you get lots of healthy fats for making your hair and skin look great but without the digestive issues. Raw honey is used as a sweetener, which is loaded with probiotics, enzymes, antioxidants, and nutrients. My favorite ingredient in this recipe is the gelatin. Real gelatin is one of the best foods you can possibly eat and is linked to health benefits including reduced wrinkles, improved digestion, and healthier joints. I love gelatin so much that I wrote an entire book about it, The Gelatin Secret, which you can buy here.
Oh, and just because this easy flan recipe is healthy, don’t think it doesn’t taste great! This is one to bring to a dinner party to impress your friends!
Easy Flan Recipe (Dairy Free, Gluten-Free, Paleo)
- 1 can full fat coconut milk (where to buy BPA-free coconut milk)
- 3 egg yolks (where to buy organic, soy-free eggs) >
- 1/3 cup raw honey (where to buy raw honey)
- 1/4 cup raw honey for later
- 2 Tbsp. vanilla (where to buy vanilla)
- 2 tsp. gelatin (where to buy gelatin)
- (optional) drizzle of maple syrup (where to buy maple syrup)
- 4 small serving size dishes
- Combine all ingredients (excluding gelatin and 1/4 cup honey) in a pot on medium heat.
- Blend well with an immersion blender.
- Once warm add gelatin and mix well again.
- Warm honey on low and pour a small amount into the four small containers you will be using for the flan.
- Pour the mixture into the containers and let cool.
- Place in fridge for 2 hours.
- Turn over onto a plate.
- Drip a mall amount of maple syrup over the top.
Want more recipes which include gelatin? Check out my eBook The Gelatin Secret. You will get recipes, instructions for making bone broth at home, and information about how gelatin nourishes each part of your body.
Latest posts by Sylvie McCracken (see all)
- How to Use Oil of Oregano for Bacterial Infections - January 18, 2017
- What Is IBS (and How to Cure It Naturally) - January 16, 2017
- Why Rifaximin is Not the Solution for SIBO or IBS - January 11, 2017