Here is a simple recipe for dishwasher detergent that is free of dangerous chemicals:
What you will need:
- 1 cup of Borax (where to buy borax)
- 1 cup of Baking Soda (where to buy aluminum free baking soda)
- 1/4 cup of sea salt (where to buy sea salt)
- 1/2 tsp of citric acid (food grade)
The first time I used this recipe I doubled it, which worked fine for the first week or two – but after that the citric acid started to clump up and cause the rest of the detergent to harden.
So I found the best way to do it is to:
- Combine the borax, salt, baking soda, and citric acid in the quantities listed above in a large container – mix well.
- Add to the dishwasher receptacle.
- Start the machine!
Citric acid is derived from fruit, I don’t like it or think it is necessary as a food additive but it does well dissolving food particles. It is not poisonous, so it gives me peace of mind to know that if my kids somehow got into it they wouldn’t get hurt, unlike most brands of dishwashing soap which would require a trip to the emergency room! We’ve tried it without the citric acid and it doesn’t work nearly as well.