Today I’m super excited to bring you a guest post by Arsy Vartanian, who is not just a colleague and fellow blogger but also an incredible cook, a wife a mom and someone I’m proud to call a dear friend. Welcome, Arsy!
Hollywood Homestead readers are fans of easy and nourishing recipes, and, in my opinion, there’s no better kitchen tool to create these recipes than the slow cooker. I’m such a fan that I wrote a whole cookbook about it (scroll down for a special discount just for Hollywood Homestead readers!).
Every recipe in Real Food Slow Cooker Recipes is strictly Paleo and Whole30-friendly — no grains, dairy, sugar, natural sweeteners, legumes or alcohol to be found.
This cookbook uses a good amount of one of Hollywood Homestead’s favorite superfoods, bone broth! It’s such a versatile food, and the health benefits are enormous. Bone broth is one of the most nutrient-dense foods that we can consume. It is rich in collagen, gelatin, amino acids and many minerals. The calcium in bone broth is in a form that is very easy for the body to absorb and digest. And the flavor it adds to slow cooker dishes is unbeatable. It is a true superfood! And, it certainly doesn’t hurt that it’s better than botox!
The recipe I’m sharing today includes beef broth for a nutrient and flavor boost. This Osso Buco with Gremolata is quintessential comfort food, and is a really great meal to come home to after a long day and is just one of the 110 recipes in Real Food Slow Cooker Recipes ebook.
Osso Buco with Gremolata from Real Food Slow Cooker Recipes
Author: Arsy Vartanian
2 lbs. beef shanks
2 cups diced tomatoes
1 cup beef broth
1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons ghee, divided
2 tablespoons tomato paste (preferably from a jar)
2 carrots, peeled and chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
5 sprigs thyme
Sea salt and pepper
1 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley
2 tablespoons pine nuts
2 small cloves garlic or 1 large clove, minced
Zest of 1 lemon
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon of ghee in a large skillet over medium heat. Generously salt and pepper the shanks and add the shanks to the skillet and cook until golden brown, turning once after 6 to 8 minutes. Transfer the shanks to the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ghee and onion. Sauté until soft, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the tomato paste, and scrape up any brown bits from the skillet, about 45 seconds. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add the carrots, celery, tomatoes, broth and thyme. Cook on low for 8 hours or until shanks are fork tender. Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
- After your shanks are done cooking, prepare the gremolata. In a small bowl, combine the parsley, pine nuts, garlic, lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Serve the shanks topped with the sauce and the gremolata.
This is just 1 of the 110 recipes in Arsy’s Real Food Slow Cooker Recipes ebook. Want to get your hands on the rest of them? Use code HOLLYWOOD30 at checkout for 30% off the ebook for a limited time! Click here to get your copy.
Latest posts by Sylvie McCracken (see all)
- What You Need to Know about Allicin before Taking a Supplement - April 23, 2017
- Gelatin Showdown: The Top Brands of Gelatin Compared - April 19, 2017
- 5 Proven Ways Gelatin Helps Weight Loss - April 12, 2017