Have you looked at the ingredients in store bought ketchup? Even the organic ones are full of sugar. I still buy the organic store bought ketchup in a pinch, if we’re having a barbecue and don’t have time to make our own and it’s light years better than the popular mainstream brands that are full of GMOs and high fructose corn syrup but this homemade ketchup is even better since we use grade B organic maple syrup to sweeten it instead of refined white sugar.
The reason these organic brands are full of sugar is because they use the whole tomato (for expediency) and the tomato seeds are bitter. To cut the bitterness they sweeten it up. You can certainly make ketchup from tomatoes but this recipe is a little more realistic for our lifestyle right now since it saves a few time consuming steps by using tomato paste instead.
Try this healthy homemade ketchup you and your family will love!
- 3 1/2 cups organic tomato paste (where to buy organic tomato paste)
- 3/4 cup filtered water
- 1/2 cup grade B maple syrup (where to buy grade B maple syrup)
- 4 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar (where to buy apple cider vinegar)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp. sea salt (where to buy sea salt)
- Peel and mash the garlic
- Combine all ingredients in the food processor and mix well
This recipe will keep in the fridge for several weeks. You could also double a batch and freeze it where it will keep several months.
Do you make homemade ketchup or other condiments?
Latest posts by Sylvie McCracken (see all)
- How to Use Oil of Oregano for Bacterial Infections - January 18, 2017
- What Is IBS (and How to Cure It Naturally) - January 16, 2017
- Why Rifaximin is Not the Solution for SIBO or IBS - January 11, 2017