Confession time: Once upon a time I used to make macaroons with unpronounceable ingredients and sweetened condensed milk. I remember my mom asking me, in all seriousness, “are you really gonna eat that”?
So, when I went paleo I wised up about ingredients of course, but that didn’t mean I had to leave my macaroons behind! Just needed to convert them.
Of course, if you can’t be bothered to make them and would rather just buy a clean healthy version delivered to your doorstep, here is a delicious option you can purchase. You’re welcome! 🙂
Without further ado, here is my recipe for paleo macaroons!
Now, before the comments come flying in like in the paleo chocolate cupcakes recipe, I’m not saying you should serve these for dinner with a side of brussels sprouts. These are treats, peeps! (Hey, that rhymes!). The reason for calling them “paleo macaroons” as opposed to just macaroons is not because cavemen were grazing on shredded coconut and chocolate chips all day. It’s because, I don’t know about you, but when I’m searching for a recipe online ain’t nobody got time to type “grain free, dairy free, crap free, cancer causing sweetener free macaroons” amiright?
I love this dessert as an easy one to bring to a party since you can grab and eat like a cookie. Your host will love you for not giving them more dishes to wash.
Yield: 1 dozen
- 2.5 cups unsweetened shredded coconut (where to buy shredded coconut)
- 1/2 cup raw honey (where to buy raw honey)
- 1/4 cup dairy free chocolate chips (where to buy great chocolate chips)
- 1/8 cup grade “B” maple syrup (where to buy organic maple syrup)
- 2 large egg whites (beaten) (where to buy organic, soy-free eggs)
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla (where to buy quality vanilla)
- pinch of salt-don’t skip this!! (where to buy sea salt)
- parchment paper
- Preheat over to 350 degrees.
- Mix together coconut, honey, syrup, and salt.
- Add egg whites and vanilla – mix well.
- Spoon out 1 Tbsp. size mounds onto a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Place into the oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown. I used the broiler for 1-2 minutes at the end to get the desired browning.
- Let cool on a cooling rack and then place in the fridge for 1 hour.
What is your favorite dessert?
You can buy delicious chocolate paleo macaroons from this company that will ship ’em to you if you can’t be bothered to do the dishes- hey, I’ve got those days.
Ready to eat!:
Latest posts by Sylvie McCracken (see all)
- Why Fecal Transplant is the New Frontier in IBS Treatment - November 30, 2016
- The Little-Known IBS Treatment which Actually Works - November 9, 2016
- Brown Butter Spice Cake Recipe [GAPS] - November 3, 2016