I’m not gonna lie to you… This recipe is quite involved, but makes quite a few S’more muffins (you should be able to get 2 dozen out of it) because each part of the recipe needs to be made in full. The marshmallow recipe can’t be cut in half without causing problems. I promise you won’t regret it!
Paleo S’more Muffins
Part 1 – The Crust Base
- 3 cups almond flour (where to buy almond flour)
- 3 eggs (where to buy organic, soy-free eggs)
- 1/4 cup grade B maple syrup (where to buy grade B maple syrup)
- Arrowroot powder as needed to make the dough “non-sticky” (where to buy arrowroot powder)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the ingredients.
- Add the arrowroot powder until it’s not sticky anymore.
- Grease your muffin pan from top to bottom (I use coconut oil).
- Roll into small balls and press to the bottom of the muffin pan.
- Crust should be about 1/4 inch thick in each muffin.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes.
Part 2 – The Chocolate
- 6 eggs (preferably pastured) (where to buy organic, soy-free eggs)
- 1 2/3 cup chocolate chips (dairy/soy free) (where to buy chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup coconut oil (where to buy coconut oil)
- 1/4 cup cacao powder (where to buy cacao powder)
- 1 Tbsp arrowroot powder (where to buy arrowroot powder)
- 1 Tbsp coconut flour (where to buy coconut flour)
- 2 tsp vanilla (where to buy vanilla)
- 1/2 tsp baking soda (where to buy baking soda)
- Combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a pot on medium heat – stir continually until blended.
- Let cool.
- Separate the egg whites from the yolks and blend the whites until light and frothy.
- Blend the yolks and pour slowly into the bowl with the whites while blending (I use a cuisinart smart stick).
- Slowly add the chocolate to the mixture and vanilla while blending – the more frothy the better.
- Sift and add the remaining dry ingredients.
- Evenly distribute the batter into the 24 individual muffin spaces that have the pre-cooked crust.
- Muffins should be about 1/2 full at this point.
- Place in oven (still at 350) for 15 minutes or until a toothpick comes out cleanly.
- While muffins are in the oven melt 1 cup of enjoy life chocolate chips in a small pot until smooth.
- Once the muffins have cooled pour a layer of chocolate over each muffin – don’t skip this step because it’s not only delicious, it allows the marshmallow to stick to the top of your muffin later on.
- Place in the fridge until the chocolate has hardened (roughly 30 minutes or so).
Part 3 – The Marshmallow
- 3 Tbsp gelatin (where to buy gelatin)
- 1 cup of filtered water divided into ½ cups
- ½ cup honey (preferably raw) (where to buy raw honey)
- ½ cup maple syrup (grade B organic) (where to buy grade B maple syrup)
- 2 tsp. vanilla (where to buy vanilla)
- ¼ tsp sea salt (where to buy quality sea salt)
- Parchment paper
- Warm ½ cup of water on low heat and combine with gelatin and mix well (I use an immersion blender for this).
- In a separate pot pour the remaining ½ cup of water and combine with honey, maple syrup and salt.
- Heat on medium-high for approximately 10 minutes on your large burner.
- Once finished, immediately but SLOWLY combine the gelatin and honey mixture into a bowl with mixer on highest setting.
- Mix on high until color lightens and the mixture becomes light and fluffy (this may take up to 10 minutes).
- Once the marshmallow mixture is fluffy but still pourable, pour it over each muffin until each one is full.
- I usually sprinkle a few chocolate chips over each one to top it off.
- Place in the fridge for roughly 1 hour or until the marshmallow has set.
- Take them out of the fridge and eat about 6 before the kids find out they’re finished.
Did you know that gelatin is one of the healthiest foods that you can add to your diet, boasting benefits like preventing wrinkles, stronger bones, and even improved sleep? To find out all about the benefits of gelatin (and get lots of great gelatin recipes too!), check out my new eBook, The Gelatin Secret
Latest posts by Sylvie McCracken (see all)
- Why Fecal Transplant is the New Frontier in IBS Treatment - November 30, 2016
- The Little-Known IBS Treatment which Actually Works - November 9, 2016
- Brown Butter Spice Cake Recipe [GAPS] - November 3, 2016